360 Analytics is looking for an experienced building energy modeler to join our team as a key player in growing a small consulting firm. Based in Seattle, 360 Analytics analyzes and predicts how buildings use energy and other resources, with the ultimate goal of helping our clients achieve cost-effective energy conservation objectives while reducing their environmental impact. We specialize in using whole building energy simulation software, however our approach relies heavily upon research and engineering fundamentals to develop realistic analysis inputs and verify results.
Our diverse experience and service offering provides a unique environment for the self-motivated, talented analyst to make their mark in a small but growing company. Our work includes early phase analysis of design alternatives, evaluations of existing buildings, measurement and verification, and code compliance/LEED modeling. 360 Analytics is also a key contributor to CBECC-Com (California Building Energy Code Compliance – Commercial), an open source software project designed to be used by Code Agencies, Rating Authorities, and Utility Programs in the development and implementation of energy codes, standards, and other efficiency programs. The successful candidate will also bring the ideas, expertise, and motivation to continue expanding the quality and scope of our services.
This position could be a great fit if you answer yes to the following questions:
- Are you passionate about using analysis to optimize design and make buildings more efficient?
- Do you enjoy developing new approaches for making the energy modeling process better or more efficient?
- Have you been energy modeling for years, and feel there is not enough emphasis on evaluating modeling predictions or the actual performance of buildings?
- Do you want to help define the direction and reap the rewards of growing a small company?
The Senior Building Analyst position is full time, and located in our Seattle, Washington office. Responsibilities include:
- Serve as a primary point of contact with clients to provide technical guidance for meeting their project goals.
- Leverage whole building energy simulation and other analysis techniques to model and analyze energy use in new and existing buildings.
- Perform evaluations of existing building performance, including utility bill analysis, benchmarking, on-site building audits and field measurements.
- Follow guidelines to generate energy models or other calculations for code compliance and green building rating systems, such as LEED.
- Assist in testing and development of a new, open-source energy modeling software, CBECC-Com.
- Able to work independently, as well as manage and mentor other analysts to cooperatively complete projects on-time and on-budget.
- Create and implement measurement and verification (M&V) or other study plans to evaluate building performance.
- Produce complete and accurate reports/presentations suitable for both lay and technical audiences.
- Develop and/or enhance tools and processes to improve the quality and efficiency of the energy analysis workflow.
- Be proactive in addressing questions or concerns raised by both clients and managers/co-workers.
- Participate in proposal development, presentations and other business development activities.
To be considered, candidates should be able to demonstrate meeting the following qualifications:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent education/knowledge of fundamental thermodynamic principles.
- ‘Expert’ level experience using energy simulation software, specifically, eQuest/DOE-2.2 or OpenStudio/EnergyPlus.
- In-depth knowledge using the DOE-2 BDL expression language or similar approaches for improving the efficiency of the modeling process.
- Detailed knowledge of energy and other building codes, specifically Washington State/Seattle Energy Code, California Title 24, and ASHRAE Standard 90.1.
- Highly proficient with MS Excel and other software used to organize, analyze and report data.
- Demonstrated ability to complete projects on-time and within budget.
- Excellent written, verbal communication, and presentation skills.
- Motivated to advance both personal and company knowledge in the field of building performance analysis.
- Licensed PE in Washington or California.
Additional desired skills/experience:
- Architectural, HVAC, lighting or plumbing design experience.
- Proficiency with Google SketchUp or Revit software.
- Building energy auditing or commissioning experience.
- Knowledge of one or more computer programming languages – preferably Ruby, Python or VBA.
- Experience with other tools used to evaluate and optimize building systems, such as Radiance, Relux, WINDOW/THERM, Natural Resources Canada (NRC) software tools, National Renewable Energy Lab (NREL) software
- LEED AP or familiarity with LEED and other green building standards.
Salary Range $ 70,000 – $ 95,000 DOE.
We also offer training, paid medical, life, and long-term disability insurance, profit sharing, and the opportunity to take a leadership role in a growing, dynamic company. Relocation assistance is available for the right candidate.
For more information on our firm or this position, visit our website at www.360-analytics.com, or send us an email at email@example.com. To be formally considered for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.