COMPANY: Ecotope Inc.
LOCATION: Seattle, WA
JOB TITLE: Energy Modeler
JOB TYPE: Full time, salaried position with benefits
AVAILABLE: February 2017
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
Ecotope is a mission-driven consulting, research, and mechanical engineering firm with over 40 years’ experience focusing on energy efficiency and sustainable design in buildings. Ecotope provides a range of services organized into three primary work groups. Our award-winning Engineering and Design group provides full service mechanical engineering and consulting on energy efficiency for multi-family and commercial buildings. Our Research and Technology group provides fundamental research into emerging energy efficient technologies and building energy use characteristics across the building sector. Our Policy and Planning group provides technical support to regional and national energy planning organizations and to local governments and organizations targeting energy and carbon reductions in the built environment.
This position is designed to provide modeling services across the three Ecotope work groups to range from documentation of energy efficiency performance measures in individual high performance buildings designed by the Engineering and Design group to large scale parametric analyses to support energy code research or program development in the Research and Technology or Policy and Planning groups.
Ecotope offers an informal and comfortable work place. We are a small business that promotes creativity while maintaining efficient and effective project execution. We strive to manage our work load to maintain a healthy work/life balance. Individual employees are expected to demonstrate a high level independence and responsibility for their work within our collaborative work environment.
The ideal candidate will be prepared to successfully perform all of the listed job responsibilities. However, Ecotope will consider training promising candidates that have a strong aptitude and interest in the work. Duties include:
- Development of “shoebox” energy models to test the impact of a range of energy conservation options to inform design of individual buildings.
- Modeling and documentation of whole building performance of individual buildings for documenting energy code compliance, compliance with sustainable building program credits such as LEED, or for obtaining energy conservation rebates from utility programs.
- Energy modeling of existing buildings with calibration of the model to match existing bills for the purpose of providing energy efficiency recommendations.
- Parametric modeling of a wide range of energy conservation measures on prototype building models to test the impact of potential energy code changes or energy conservation program initiatives.
- Energy billing analysis.
- Numerical modeling and analysis.
- Coordination and communication with clients.
- Assisting with technical report writing and research projects.
- Managing one’s own day to day project tasks and managing client contacts.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or other technical field.
- High degree of interest in energy efficient building systems. Direct experience preferred.
- Strong communication, technical and writing skills.
- Experience with eQuest, EnergyPlus, and other building energy use simulation tools.
- Detail oriented personality, ability to organize technical information.
- Ability to manage multiple on-going projects, and prioritize multiple deadlines.
- Self-starting personality, able to work effectively in a team environment as well as independently with minimal supervision
- Able to communicate well with clients, including setting and managing client expectations.
- Experience with HVAC design for residential and commercial buildings.
- Knowledge of the Washington State Building and Energy Codes.
- Experience using prototype models to estimate energy savings across a large population or portfolio of buildings.
- Experience in modeling energy savings for conservation potential assessments.
- Experience performing billing analysis for commercial buildings.
- Experience disaggregating end use energy use in commercial buildings.
- Experience using audit data to analyze savings impacts of various efficiency measures and design strategies.
- Professional consulting experience and proven project management skills
- Energy Plus/Open Studio building energy simulation software.
- Experience running batch processes for large scale modeling studies
- Strong statistics background
- Proficiency with AutoCAD or REVIT experience a plus
- Knowledge of and experience with sustainable building certification programs such as LEED, GreenGlobes, Built Green, EDSD, EnergyStar, etc…
- A strong background in batch processing and familiarity with PNNL and DOE prototype building models would be very helpful
Visit our web site at: www.ecotope.com for additional information on our company.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary range offered for this position will depend on the candidate’s experience. Ecotope offers a benefit package including full medical, dental and vision coverage, short and long term disability, 401(k) with matching contribution, annual performance bonuses, and starting 3 weeks annual paid vacation and sick leave. Flex time may be negotiated.
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Submit one (1) PDF file containing:
- Cover letter.
- Resume, include list of hobbies or interests outside of work.
- Email PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Energy Modeler” as the subject line.