O’Brien360 is seeking a new member to contribute to our growing Commissioning group. Our team is passionate about bridging the gaps between as-designed, as-built, and operational performance in the built environment. Our work includes mid-and high-rise multifamily, small commercial, and municipal projects pursuing above code rating system certifications, aggressive energy performance goals, and persistent, reliable performance. While following industry-standard commissioning protocols, our team takes a mindful approach to how and when to provide technical assistance, project tools, and process improvement. Internally, we strive for seamless collaboration to provide fully orchestrated delivery of O’Brien360’s combined services. If this work interests you, keep reading.
• Are you a natural organizer who thrives on the satisfaction of a job well done? Do you love it when a plan comes together?
• Are you service-oriented and find that providing value is an important factor in your job satisfaction?
• Do you like to contribute to continuous improvement?
• Do you enjoy puzzles and sorting out details? Do you have the confidence to figure things out on your own when needed and the interpersonal skills and enthusiasm to collaborate with internal and external team members effectively?
• Do you like to make connections with intersectional topics, such as energy, sustainability, health, comfort, and durability?
• Do you love technical writing?
• Are you a spreadsheet and web-based organizing application nerd?
If your answer to the questions above is yes, then please read through the application instructions – we want to hear from you!
If you are an experienced construction Project Manager or architect who has directly engaged the commissioning process in your work, we want to hear from you too. Your skills may apply to this position.
O’Brien360 is a 31-year-old sustainability consultancy based in Seattle and dedicated to integrating sustainable building expertise, thoughtful analysis, and a collaborative approach toward catalyzing positive outcomes in the built environment. From project conception to occupancy, O’Brien360 delivers value and performance to clients across the entire project arc.
Equitable advancement of the built environment toward positive life cycle impacts.
Integrate sustainable building expertise, thoughtful analysis, and a collaborative approach to catalyze positive outcomes.
For more information about O’Brien360 and our green building consulting work, please visit www.obrien360.com.
• Uphold and advance O’Brien360’s Vision and Mission.
• Work directly with commissioning team leader and team members to manage and coordinate commissioning projects, including:
o manage project schedules, tasks, and budget
o guide clients and project teams to plan for, implement, and prepare required documentation
o schedule, plan, and facilitate meetings with design and construction teams.
o maintain records of site observations, testing processes, and checklists
o distribute, collect, and document commissioning plans, construction checklists, and functional performance tests
o coordinate with other O’Brien360 teams on shared projects
o assist with reviewing project time and invoicing
o draft proposals for commissioning work and create project budget estimates
• Be proactive in addressing questions or concerns raised by clients, contractors, and managers/co-workers, with guidance from the Commissioning Principal.
• Contribute to the project team in positive collaboration with owners, designers, contractors, and other stakeholders.
• 3 – 5 years’ experience in construction/engineering project management.
• Understanding of project management procedures, terminology, and tools; and the commercial building construction process.
• Familiarity with design and construction phasing, from design through occupancy.
• Familiarity with the commissioning process, from design through occupancy.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, especially in clearly communicating technical information.
• Ability to interact on a professional level with design and construction professionals as well as building owners.
• A strong work ethic and efficient work style, including the ability to work well both independently and collaboratively.
• Motivated to advance both personal and company knowledge in the field of building commissioning.
• Computer skills: Microsoft Office, including advanced skills with Excel, Word, and PDF editing, such as Bluebeam; fluency using file sharing and project management cloud-based programs like Smartsheet; and the ability to work efficiently and effectively with computer programs to compile well-organized documents.
Experience and credentials that are also valuable:
• Experience performing energy audits, retro-commissioning, and new construction commissioning of various building and system types.
• Bachelor’s degree and/or experience in planning, construction, design, engineering, real estate or building science technology.
• Project Management Professional certification.
• Completion of a commissioning-focused project management course
• Registered Professional Engineer or Engineer in Training (E.I.T.).
• Associate Commissioning Professional/Certified Commissioning Professional.
• Knowledge and understanding of building energy codes, specifically Washington State/Seattle Energy Code, California Title 24, and ASHRAE Standard 90.1.
• Additional computer skills: AutoCAD, commissioning-specific field reporting software, such as Cx Alloy, BlueRithm.
Important skills for working remotely:
We have a hybrid remote and in-office work schedule. In addition, the person in this position may work on project sites. The following skills are especially important for success in this position:
• Be able to engage effectively with clients and other staff through online tools, including chat, email, telephone, and video conferencing.
• Be conscientious of your screen presence when on video conferencing, maintaining a professional appearance and background.
• Be able to work independently and be accountable to other team members and the company.
• Be comfortable with setting up your computer and home workstation, and troubleshooting computer issues, with the assistance of our remote IT personnel.
• Be transparent and proactive with your team or supervisor about issues with your home-work environment so that they can be quickly addressed.
O’Brien360 can provide training opportunities for related professional credentials for the candidate who has a passion for sustainable building work and interest in the technical knowledge needed to deliver at service levels expected at O’Brien360.
Benefits and Job Details
• Salary range – $75,000 – $90,000 for depending on experience (applications for more senior positions will also be considered).
• Work schedule is flexible but requires 4 days in the office/field.
o The workday is flexible but generally 9-5 availability is expected, other than field work scheduling.
o In normal circumstances, we work in a LEED Gold historic building, but due to COVID-19, our staff is currently working remotely. This will continue to be evaluated based on public health guidelines and staff needs.
• Company-paid health and dental insurance.
• Paid time off starting at 3 weeks, 11 holidays and 8 hours of paid volunteer time per year.
• Company-paid ORCA pass, plus Zipcar account for company travel.
• Generous company contributions to 401K after 1 year.
• Minimum of $500 per employee per year towards professional development.
• Minimum of $250 per employee per year towards matching donations.
To apply, please send a single file in PDF or Microsoft Word format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use your full name (last name first) as the file name and use “Commissioning Project Manager Job Application” as your email subject.
This file should be no more than 3 pages and include:
• a cover letter that describes how you heard about the job, why you are interested in it, and why you are a strong candidate.
• a one-page resume that highlights your relevant experience.
• three references (name, email address and telephone number).
The position will be open until filled.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Equal Opportunity Statement:
O’Brien360 is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Just™ organization. We value our employees and strive to create an environment focused on diversity, equity, inclusion, and respect, free from discriminatory employment practices or personnel actions. We evaluate all applicants based on their qualifications, and will never discriminate based on race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual preference, veteran status, or physical or mental disability.