OʼBrien360 is seeking a new member to contribute to our growing Commissioning group. Our team is passionate about bridging the gaps between as-designed, as-built, and operational performance in the built environment. Our work includes mid-and high-rise multifamily, small commercial, and municipal projects pursuing above code rating system certifications, aggressive energy performance goals, and persistent, reliable performance. While following industry-standard commissioning protocols, our team takes a mindful approach to how and when to provide technical assistance,
project tools, and process improvement. Internally, we strive for seamless collaboration to provide fully orchestrated delivery of OʼBrien360ʼs combined services. If this sounds interesting to you, then read on:
• Are you a natural problem solver and tinkerer who is equally at home figuring out how something works as you are with documenting observations in a clear and organized way?
• Do you like to make connections with intersectional topics, such as energy, sustainability, health, comfort, and durability?
• Do you like to contribute to continuous improvement?
• Do you have the confidence to figure things out on your own when needed, and the interpersonal skills and interest to effectively collaborate with internal and external team members?
If youʼve answered yes to the above questions, then please read through the application instructions
‒ we look forward to meeting you!
OʼBrien360 is a 30-year-old sustainability consultancy based in Seattle and dedicated to integrating sustainable building expertise, thoughtful analysis, and a collaborative approach toward catalyzing positive outcomes in the built environment. From project conception to occupancy, OʼBrien360 delivers value and performance to clients across the entire project arc.
Equitable advancement of the built environment toward positive life cycle impacts.
Integrate sustainable building expertise, thoughtful analysis, and a collaborative approach to catalyze
For more information about OʼBrien360 and our green building consulting work, please visit www.obrien360.com.
• Uphold and advance O’Brien360’s Vision and Mission.
• Assist Commissioning Principal and project managers with commissioning project and task coordination, including:
o supporting meetings
o assisting with on-site functional performance testing of various building systems
o maintaining records of site observations, testing processes and checklists
o developing, distributing, collecting, and documenting commissioning plans, construction checklists and functional
o coordinating with other OʼBrien360 teams on shared projects
o reviewing project specifications, design documents and submitting for conformance with the OPR, and commissioning requirements
o developing commissioning plans in accordance with industry best practices and project guidelines
o effectively documenting commissioning procedures, assumptions, and results.
• Be proactive in addressing questions or concerns raised by clients, contractors, and managers/co-workers, with guidance from the Commissioning Principal.
• Contribute to the project team in positive collaboration with owners, designers, contractors, and other stakeholders.
• Produce complete and accurate reports/presentations suitable for both lay and technical audiences.
• Bachelorʼs degree in mechanical engineering or 4 yearsʼ applicable experience.
• Be able to conduct site inspections and field work, including carrying up to 50 lbs. up stairs,
climb ladders, walk on roofs, and maneuver through construction job sites safely.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, especially in clearly communicating technical
• Ability to interact on a professional level with design and construction professionals.
• A strong work ethic and efficient work style, including the ability to work well both
independently and collaboratively.
• Motivated to advance both personal and company knowledge in the field of building
• Computer skills: Microsoft Office, including advanced skills with Excel, Word, and PDF
editing, such as Bluebeam; fluency using file sharing and project management cloud-based programs like Smartsheet; and the ability to work efficiently and effectively with computer
programs to compile well-organized documents.
Experience and credentials that are also valuable:
• Experience performing energy audits, retro-commissioning, and new construction
commissioning of various building and system types.
• Certified by an ANSI/ISO/IEC 17014 accredited organization to implement the commissioning
• Registered Professional Engineer or Engineer In Training (E.I.T.).
• Certified Commissioning Professional/Associate Commissioning Professional.
• Knowledge and understanding of building energy codes, specifically Washington
State/Seattle Energy Code, California Title 24, and ASHRAE Standard 90.1.
• Additional computer skills: AutoCAD, commissioning-specific field reporting software, such
Important skills for working remotely:
Due to the current circumstances of working from home full-time during COVID-19 restrictions and
precautions, these skills are especially important for success in this position:
• Be able to engage effectively with clients and other staff through online tools, including chat,
email, telephone, and video conferencing.
• Be conscientious of your screen presence when on video conferencing, maintaining a
professional appearance and background.
• Be able to work independently and be accountable to other team members and the company.
• Be comfortable with setting up your computer and home workstation, and troubleshooting
computer issues, with the assistance of our remote IT personnel.
• Be transparent and proactive with your team or supervisor about issues with your home-work
environment so that they can be quickly addressed.
OʼBrien360 can provide training opportunities for related professional credentials for the candidate
who has a passion for sustainable building work and interest in the technical knowledge needed to
deliver at service levels expected at OʼBrien360.
Benefits and Job Details
• Salary range – $55,000 – $75,000, annually
• Applications for more senior Commissioning positions will be considered.
• Work schedule is flexible but requires 4 days in the office/field.
o The workday is flexible but generally 9-5 availability is expected, other than field work
o In normal circumstances, we work in a LEED Gold historic building, but due to
COVID-19, our staff is currently working remotely at least through September 2021.
This will continue to be evaluated based on public health guidelines and staff needs.
• Company-paid health and dental insurance, plus employee paid Aflac insurance available.
• Paid time off starting at 3 weeks, 10 paid holidays and 8 hours of paid volunteer time per year.
• Company paid ORCA pass, plus Zipcar account for company travel.
• Generous company contributions to 401K after 1 year.
• Minimum of $500 per employee per year towards professional development.
• Minimum of $250 per employee per year towards matching donations.
To apply, please send a single file in PDF or Microsoft Word format to email@example.com. Please
use your full name (last name first) as the file name and use “Commissioning Engineer ‒ Entry Level
Job Application” as your email subject.
This file should be no more than 3 pages and include:
• a cover letter that describes how you heard about the job, why you are interested in it, and
why you are a strong candidate.
• a one-page resume that highlights your relevant experience.
• three references (name, email address and telephone number).
The position will be open until filled.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Equal Opportunity Statement:
OʼBrien360 strives to create an inclusive, cooperative workplace. No employee of the company will
discriminate against an applicant for employment or a fellow employee because of race, creed, color,
religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual preference, veteran status or any physical or mental handicap. This policy applies to all employment practices and personnel actions.